Monday, January 31, 2011

We are moving forward - crossing the Gulf of Tehuantepec

Clarity is such a wonderful thing. We are 100% sure of our choice to continue into uncharted waters. When looking and digging deep into the reasons to stay in Mexico, we quickly saw it was for the comfort and safety of knowing where we were going. After going round and round on what to do - stay in Mexico - or cross into Central America- it became clear when we remembered what it was we were seeking on this journey. Why did we set out on this two year venture?..........To find a new way of being, and for the challenge and adventure of it all. We have certainly had plenty of adventure since leaving our dock in Ventura. Staying in Mexico, now that we are really comfortable here, would be the easy thing to do. When did easy ever get you anywhere? It is the hard stuff, the struggles, the finding yourself in uncomfortable situations, the facing of your fears, and the challenges we face, or in this case.....invite, that net us growth. Growth is what this journey is about for us. So on we will head when the weather window presents itself. According to our Mexico boating guide, crossing the Gulf of Tehuantepec will be a challenge. Direct from our book:
" A Tehuantepec gale is capable of blowing a 120 foot coastal freighter 300 miles off shore, so imagine what it does to our little boats. Cruising boats that get caught to far out when a gale SUDDENLY starts, are blown way off shore by overpowering wind ( 60 KNOTS) into very big seas, sometimes breaking windows, hatches and rigging, even capsizing and sinking. " we are strapping down the kayacks, the paddle board, the surf board, and stowing things away in prepreation for this wild ride. It is a 2 to 3 day crossing, and we plan to hug the coast, going just one mile off shore. This will require careful navigation and constant attention. Our brother in-law, Steve, arrived yesterday and is ready to take this on with us. Having extra crew will be so great on a passage like this. Plenty of boats make this passage and are just fine, so knowing this does give me a little peace of mind. Once we make the crossing we have one more quick stop in Puerto Madero, Mexico. We check out of the country here, and we will be certain to have a cocktail or two, after cheating death once again. From here - on to El Salvador. We plan to make this a rest stop only. While we have an extra set of hands on board, we will book on down to Costa Rica so we can frolic with the monkeys and do some serious hikes in the rain forests. So for now we wait. Wait for the right weather window. As of today - it looks like we will be here until Tuesday of next week. A T-Pecker ( as it is lovingly called in these parts) is about to blow.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome blog and picture of you, Tammy! I am excited but nervous about your crossing. I am happy to know that Steve is once again there assisting you. Can't wait to hear about this next crossing and maybe before you leave, we can chat live while you have cell availability? Let's set a phone date ~ miss hearing your voice.

    Much love to all three of you (Steve too!) :)